Cory Fong was elected State Tax Commissioner in November 2006.
Dedicated to promoting:
- A tax structure and business climate in North Dakota that allows our businesses and industries to grow and prosper to even higher levels of success.
- North Dakota as the best place in the country to work, to do business, and to raise a family.
Sustainable tax relief.
- Sound fiscal management to stay within budget.
- Effective administration in hiring capable employees, training them, making certain they have the tools to do their jobs, and that they are meeting the needs of taxpayers.
- Accountability in making wise use of resources, ensuring strong customer service, efficient and effective technology advancements, and that sound policy decisions drive the tax department’s business processes in every way.
- Responsibility in the important job of administering the tax laws of North Dakota.
- Senior management of a large and diverse staff of professional employees.
- Development of team leadership skills in settings involving individuals ranging from teenagers, college age, adults, and professionals, within work settings, community service, and the political arena.
- Leadership development of self and coworkers in various college, community, and professional environments.
- Planning and implementing enhanced use of effective technology.
- Legislative agenda development and follow through.
- Building coalitions consisting of divergent groups to arrive at responsible solutions.
- Developing effective communication skills in working with elected officials at local and state levels in promoting new voting methods.
- Establishing networks with state and local officials across the state to promote awareness of how tax department programs can benefit community development.
- Using a team approach to work with various state agencies to promote economic development efforts.
- Developing trusting relationship with legislators, other state and local officials, and business and community leaders.
- Director of Elections, Office of the Secretary of State, State of North Dakota – 1995-2000
- Deputy Director, North Dakota Republican Party, 2000
- Deputy Secretary of State, Office of the Secretary of State, State of North Dakota – 2001-2003
- Director, Governor John Hoeven’s re-election campaign, 2003 -2004
- Deputy Commissioner, Department of Commerce, State of North Dakota – 2004-2005
- Appointed State Tax Commissioner to fill a vacancy effective June 1, 2005
- Elected State Tax Commissioner November 2006
- Board of Trustees, Federation of Tax Administrators, 2008-present
- Vice-Chair, Multi State Tax Commission, present
- Born in Great Falls, Montana.
- Raised in Helena, Montana. Graduate of Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington with a Bachelor’s degree in political science and speech communications.
- A resident of Bismarck since 1994.
- Cory, his wife Cecily, and son Conrad, reside in Bismarck.